For more information on the role,
please contact: Fiona Beattie
Telephone: 01670 500690
Location - Morpeth and Blyth
New rates effective from the 1st September 2019
Hourly rate -
- £8.21 per hour
- rising to £8.47 on completion of probation
- rising further to £8.65 on gaining a Health & Social Care Diploma/NVQ Level 2
Find your place with us and help change lives.
We are one of the largest learning disability charities in the UK, supporting 2,900 people through our friendly, supportive, creative and diverse teams.
About the role
As a support worker at Hft you’ll be supporting adults with learning disabilities to live the best life possible. In this caring and creative role, everything you do will enable people to have choices about their own lives, creating flexible services that meet people’s needs and always looking for the best way of doing things.
The purpose of your role is to give the highest possible standards of support to individuals with moderate to severe learning disabilities, in all aspects of their daily lives. You’ll be helping to ensure the people we support:
- Build confidence to develop interests
- Feel secure and safe
- Are provided with any personal care needed with dignity
- Increase independence
- Are enabled to make as many choices as possible
- Achieve personal goals, which may include travel or holidays
- We provide 24/7 support to some people, so you will need to have flexibility to work shifts on a rota basis, including nights, weekends and Bank Holidays. You may also get the opportunity to attend training courses and other activities.
You don’t need experience of support work or any special qualifications for this job - you’ll get plenty of training along the way. Having the right values and wanting to make a difference to enable people to live a more fulfilling and independent life is what matters most. You will need to have good listening skills and a practical, caring approach. You also need to have basic level IT skills to be able to use a computer to record information about people you will be supporting.
It’s great if you already have experience of working with people with learning disabilities, autism or dementia, but it’s not essential. What matters most is your positive attitude to life and your desire to support people to live their life with as much independence, choice, dignity and control as possible.
What we offer
We offer a range of benefits and career development opportunities. We’ll give you a comprehensive induction, full training and support along the way. With Investors in People and Skills for Care accreditation we are committed to investing in our teams to ensure they have the specialist skills they need.
- Apprenticeships - gain a fully funded Level 2 Diploma in Health & Social Care whilst earning
- Access to the Hft Plus benefits package, which includes a great number of discounts and rewards across shops, restaurants, gym membership and days out; but also an Employee Assistance Programme, with telephone and face-to-face support options, as well as support for financial wellbeing.
- Access to award winning training and development – Hft is one of only four charities to have achieved the Skills for Care ‘Centre of Excellence’ provider status
- Annual staff award scheme – The Fusion Awards, and peer recognition through our GEM awards programme
- 20 days holiday (plus 8 bank holidays) increasing to 25 days after a year of employment (pro rata for part time staff)
- A contributory pension scheme & life assurance
- Join us and help change lives.
STRICTLY NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Hft's usual terms and conditions apply.
Hft is committed to equal opportunities and welcomes applications from all sections of the community. As a Disability Confident Employer, Hft is helping to ensure that disabled people have the same opportunities to fulfil their potential and realise their aspirations that people without disabilities do.
Successful applicants will need to undertake an enhanced disclosure check against the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS). Having a criminal record may not bar you from employment.